Tuesday, July 13, 2010

6 Weeks

I know it has been forever since I have personally written in my blog. Times have been hard for me these past 6 weeks. 6 weeks ago I went in for my surgery to remove the cancer (which is all goneJ), but at the same time pretty much get a new leg. Personally I didn’t know having such a major thing done to your body would be so hard. I ended up getting bedsores from not being moved and that itself was super hard. When I first got the sores itself was more of a problem at the beginning then my leg while I was in the hospital. I spent 8 days in the hospital recovering from my surgery moving 3 rooms, changing 3 beds (all in the middle of the night), using a CPM machine for my leg 2 hours on 2 hours off and having nurses, doctors, ect bugging me all the time. It was a hard time both for my mom and I. We were glad when we got to go home. When I got home I had a setup in our computer room downstairs that consisted of a bed with lots of padding for my sores, a trapeze so I could move myself around, and lots of pillows. We got home on a Thursday and on Tuesday they said I would be having chemo the next day. I wasn’t very happy to hear that as I was still trying to get over my surgery, as I hadn’t even been home for a week. I went in for my 3 day chemo then came home. My free time at home has been as simple as just hanging around my downstairs moving from my family room to computer room and doing physical thearapy. Not walking is the hardest thing I have gone through. I feel so limited even though I am improving everyday, but can’t really do anything for myself. It is hard relying on everyone around you to do everything for you. I can personally say I have no personal space anymore. I know things can only get better for me and my leg and I have never been more determined in my life. The physical therapist today told me my movement is great and she has never seen someone work so hard to get back on their feet. She says there is no doubt if I keep working hard and doing what I need to do that I am going to have myself a good leg. Also my surgeon wants to get a golf simulator for him and I at the hospitalJ. I am a long way away from walking but I am making progress. I can now get around the house on my crutches and make it upstairs to take a shower. I have been through a lot these past 6 weeks with surgery, two chemos, and just getting out of the hospital yesterday after spending it in the hospital because of a fever. I don’t know how I do it. I am not the perfect person and lately there have been times were I have been angry with life and God. I sometimes have to ask WHY?, when I am at my lowest and don’t feel like I am going to make it. But then God always shows up in some way to make it bearable and I move on in this journey. Tomorrow I go in for more chemo knowing this is my last 3 day and I won’t ever have to put up with the red poison again. I have been through Hell and I am still in it, but it feels good to know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel with only 5 chemos left after this 3 day. I miss hearing from everyone and seeing people as people are busy and summer is in full throttle and hope with this post I can get a little feed back on how everyone is doing and tell how I have been doing too. Hope everyone is having a good summer so far and God Bless.

Garrett

5 comments:

  1. Hi Garrett,
    You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I know your road is long and it's been hard more than any of us can imagine. It's exciting to hear about your progress and that there are only 5 chemos left. I'm sure you are very excited to put it all behind you and get moving towards getting back to more of a normal life again. Garrett we are so proud of you. You are a great role model for all of us. Your strength and character are amazing. We love you, The Sheehans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrett~
    Hang in there....you have sooo many people praying and cheering you on! I am sure this summer has been very hard knowing your friends are out and about, but you HAVE to know, that not a day goes by that they don't think of you or mention your name...they all care about you so much..You know the group of Guys I am talking about :) I am thirilled to know only 5 chemos left...praise God!! Could you use some Mac and Cheese???? Just say the word...email me at parsonsx6@comcast.net and let me know...I AM SERIOUS..it is my pleasure!
    Much Love to you and your Family,
    The Parsons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey G, I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and continuing to fight on. It's great to know that you are determined to finish this battle with cancer. This year has been tough for you and I know you will get through this finally. You have always prevailed with anything you do. I wish you the best and hope to see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you little brother. so glad i get to spend more time with you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete