Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The last 36 hours

Hey everyone this is Garrett some of my posts will be by me but others will be by my sisters as I go through this journey to be Cancer free. So I got to the hospital Monday morning and they gave me Bruno a beanie baby dog and i was told to keep him with me at all times:). This just shows that i was taken care of like I was a little kid. Also I was in the Whale hallway I guess thats why they call it Children's Hospital! Then I sat down with the doctor before surgery and we went over how the  surgery would go...If it ended up being Cancer they would put in a port in my chest that would allow IV's access.  Then at 9:30 I headed in for the surgery.  The surgery lasted a long 3 1/2 hours.  I was out so long it took me FOREVER to wake up from the drugs. When I finally work up I felt the port in my chest and knew I had cancer.  Then the doctor came in and talked to me and said while I was out they did the Biopsy, a bone marrow test in my hips, and put a port in my chest.  It took my a while to wake up still, but I had no pain, however, I was nauseous so they gave me some nausea medicine.  I spent the rest of the day resting and talking to A LOT of different doctors.  By about 8:00 I was feeling pretty good and eat some GREAT pudding (like the one Scott and Erin told me about).  I ended up falling asleep pretty easily with my mom still here.  Grandma and Aunt  Kim were here today to visit.  

I woke up in the middle of the night with feeling really sore on my leg and my hips where I had my surgery done.   I then spent the whole day having tests taking, getting drugs for my pain, talking to doctors, and sleeping.  This evening Aunt Martha and Aunt Sandy came to to visit. My plan is to have a PET scan and 6:00 am Wed. morning.  Depending on my pain I can hopefully go home afterwards.  I miss you all...I have gotten all or your messages, facebook posts, texts, etc. and feel great support from all of you.  I am sorry I haven't replied to any of you but I am feel very supported and loved.  Please feel free to text me if you want to come visit me at home the next couple days.  I will be starting Chemo on Monday!  I love you all very much:)

-Garrett 

P.S. All of my doctors here are great and I feel well taken care of...they know what they are doing!!!  They doctor that did my surgery reminds me of Dr. House from the tv show. 

9 comments:

  1. Garrett,
    We are so proud of you. You are so strong and courageous. We know that you are in the best hands at Children's. We are happy that you have great doctors that are working on making you cancer free. We will pray that your pain will get better so you are able to come home tomorrow for a few days before you start Chemo. Take Care Garrett, We Love You~David, Candy, Kevin, Kahlen, Nikolas, Jakob and Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to meet this "Dr. House" fella : ). I wish I could join your little sleepover with megs tonight... but I hope you get lots of good rest without any pain. I love you SO much and there literally isn't a second that passes that I'm not thinking about you.

    x0x00x0x0x

    ReplyDelete
  3. G$,
    I just thought that I would stop by and let you know that House is one of my favorite shows and that makes me really happy!:) haha I love, love, love you rit!! you have always been so courageous(i.e. inner tubing, ski dooing, (or s'kidooin haha) finding and staying in sketchy hiding places in the woods during murder, etc.) anyways! I look up to you so much in your faith and strength through this! I am praying for you mucho mi primo!

    Love,
    Claire

    p.s. im hoping that me and my boyfriend, ham, and this other kid whos mischevious adventures we shall not mention ;) are gonna be around to visit you quite a lot when you are feeling up to it if that's ok. They're pretty good guys, I'm just not sure about the company they keep... I think it should be alright though! :)love you cuz! see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s.s. Ham is my bf, if you were wondering, sorry that was a lil unclear haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garrett...just to let you know the Virnig family is thinking of you and praying for good test results today. We hope your pain is less each day..We know they are doing all they can to help you. You are a fantastic kid and I know Jesus is in your heart and on your side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last night my family sat down for dinner and I told them how I found out about you and your battle. My ll year old son said "Wow that must be tough to go through, I'm glad that has Jesus on his side" I just wanted you to know that your struggle is important to people who don't even know you. We said a prayer for you and will continue to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garrett....we are praying for positive test results, wisdom for your Doctors, and peace for you and your Family. You are constantly in our hearts and on our minds...you are not walking alone!
    xoxo - The Parsons Family❤

    ReplyDelete
  8. g-man.
    i just heard about this whole thing and i can't even believe it. just know that i will be on my knees as you push on through this. i have professional training as a prayer warrior- just so you know :). we love you lots and will be sending you good vibes - philly style. i look forward to following the blog (nice work, ladies) and hopefully talking to you/megs soon. you've got support coast to coast, buddy. and mucho amor.

    love love
    em

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garrett,
    I love you. I just want you to know that. I wish I could be there for you in person, but please know that I am with you in spirit everyday and my prayers will be heard. You have always made me so happy to be not only your cousin but your step-sister, because of your wonderful nature, jokes, smiles, and shining heart. I will light a candle for you every night with my prayers. Please know that Ryan and I both love you, and wish you a grand jouney on a fast recovery.
    Love always and forever,
    Trishy
    Ps~ OXOXOXOXOXOXOXO TONS!

    ReplyDelete