Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Game Plan!!!!

Yesterday was the best I have felt since I have started my chemo. It was a great day as I spent the school day doing homework and Erin Wickstrom came over and visited for awhile which was great. Then Kylee came over and I went to the store with her and got myself some Cheetos that for some reason I was craving. I then got to hang with Brendan, Kyle, Cory, and Austin as we watched Family Feud and found out that the possession of smarties for kids leads to smoking. I was feeling great with no side affects and off all medicine. Then this morning I woke up feeling horrible. I had a really bad stomach ache and bad pain. I have felt better as the day went on and now Im feeling pretty good.
So I spent today at the Hospital getting tests all day and meeting with my team of doctors. I got a lot of information that was good for me. As people know I love the game of golf and it is my favorite sport as I worked at the golf course before this all happened and play varsity for the high school golf team where I am the up coming team Co-Captain. With the cancer I was not sure if I would be able to play golf the next 8 months. I had not really talked to the doctors about it much yet because I obviously had other things on my mind. My doctor told me today that playing golf is up to me. With golf being an outside sport I do not have to worry about getting infections or getting sick or anything that would be bad for me. I should not play when my blood counts are low though. So I can play and practice when I am feeling up to it and not sick or tired, but it will be hard to play a whole round because of my energy level at time. Also I wont be able to play and practice full time my senior golf season. But that was great news to hear that when not feeling sick from chemo or recovery from surgery I can golf and go fishing too.
I also talked to doctor Conrad who does all the surgery and is the best there is about the surgery I will be having to remove the tumor. The plan is if everything goes as planned is I will have my surgery on June 1st. Depending on how much the chemo shrinks my tumor until then will tell what type of replacement I will get. I will either have a Tibia replacement with a bone graph or a Tibia and a knee joint replacement (which involves a metal rod). It is pretty confusing stuff and I'm still confused on how everything happens but either surgery the recovery will be 3 months(all summer) without walking and on crutches and according to the doctors I will be able to fully recover from the replacement and be able to do the same things I could do before.
I feel good about how things are going so far and am finding new strength through the Lord everyday. I go back in on Friday to see how my blood counts are and hoping and praying that there might be a chance I can stop by The Round Up Friday night for Younglife. The chances are probably not but I would really love to go for a little bit.

I hope everyone is doing well and I miss and love you all,
Garrett

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you weren't feeling sick for to long! How nice will that be to get out there and golf a bit? Love that. Keep on fighting!! we'll continue praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news G! So glad you can still do the things you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news today! It will be great to be able to play golf (and fish!) when you are feeling up to it. Also so good to know that after surgery you won't be restricted in your activities. Through it all, God is faithful! Hang in there and know you are constantly in our prayers.
    Love, Uncle Stan, Aunt Martha & Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garrett, that is great news on maybe being able to golf.
    Your faith and strength still amaze me not matter how bad you are feeling. I have send your web address to alot of people and they are all praying for you and your recovery.
    God bless you Garrett, I know He is by your side on this long and painful journey.
    We love you
    Dennis and Emily (Powell's grandparents)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garrett, Just want you to know that at least 30 prayers are being said for you daily from our prayer chain at church. The power of prayer is amazing and we know you will be blessed by it!
    Hang tough; we love you.
    Uncle Stan & Aunt Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Garrett,

    You don't know me, but I have been a reader of Dawn's blog for a while. I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you.

    Blessings,

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete